Garonne Valley, a cross-border area: The Garonne Observatory (Observatoire de la Garonne)Countries: Spain, France
Interreg IIIA - France-Spain
- The environment, resources and waste
- Natural and rural areas
Lead partner: SMEAG (Syndicat Mixte d´Etudes et d´Aménagement de la Garonne)
Implemented within the framework of "La Vallée de la Garonne, un territoire transfrontalier" (The Garonne Valley: a cross-border area) project, which was initiated by the Généralité de Catalogne (the Generality of Catalonia), the Conseil Général du Val d´Aran (the Departmental Council of the Aran Valley) and SMEAG, this "sub-project" aims to create an "Observatoire transfrontalier de la Garonne" (Cross-border observatory of the Garonne). This Observatory will enable river data to be centralised, stored and organised for the purposes of study, operational management, monitoring, communication, decision-making, etc.
- Agence de l'Eau
- Généralitat de Catalunya
- Conseil Général du Val d'Aran
- Agence catalane de l'eau
The data are heterogeneous and spread across both sides of the border and the entire Garonne. Acquiring solid knowledge about the river and the way in which it is divided between France and Spain is crucial for implementing joint and comprehensive measures for managing it.
- Defining the role and content of the observatory: Beginning with a joint analysis of the main data existing on both sides of the border and of the needs conveyed by the partners, the definition study has enabled the constituent parts of the cross-border observatory to be specified. Specifications for its practical implementation (technical aspects, priorities, organisation, costs) have also been defined.
- Creating the observatory, namely through acquiring cross-border data and making them coherent in order to produce cross-border maps.
- Developing the data and making it coherent.