Safety for sustainable development in the Hautes ValléesCountries: France, Italy
Conference of the High Valleys,
Interreg IIIA - France-Italy (ALCOTRA)
- The environment, resources and waste
- Natural and rural areas
- Climate change, risk management and prevention
Lead partner: Comunità montana Pinerolese pedemontano
The mountainous area of the Hautes Vallées is seriously affected by certain natural risks such as the risk of flooding and hydrological disasters. The project intends to develop a common approach to preventing these major risks throughout the whole of the cross-border area. It focuses on acquiring greater knowledge of the problems linked to the risks and to protecting the population, using shared experiences in the management of the areas, and developing preventative actions intended for local populations, etc.
- Comunità Montana Valli Chisone e Germanasca (the Valli Chisone e Germanasca Mountain Community)
- Comunità Montana Alta Val Susa (the High Val Susa Mountain Community)
- Comunità Montana Bassa Val Susa (the Low Val Susa Mountain Community)
- Comunità Montana Val Sangone (the Val Sangone Mountain Community)
- Comunità Montana Val Pellide (the Val Pellide Mountain Community)
- Communauté de Communes du Briançonnais (the Briançon Municipal Community)
- Communauté de Communes du Pays des Ecrins (the Pays des Ecrins Municipal Community)
- To update scientific knowledge and techniques relating to specific natural risks present in that mountainous area, namely widespread torrential risks and hydrological disasters (feasibility studies, diagnosis of the protection efforts, bibliographic).
- To set up common operational measures, which are specific to this area, to ensure that the slopes are managed more effectively.
- To develop a "risk culture" by making people more aware of the natural risks that specifically affect that area. In other words, it is a matter of improving the information available to the public and making them more aware of the risks that they run.
Local and tourist populations
Creation of a "project bank": all of the projects will be examined and quantified, and will become part of the risk management and civil protection policy.
A synthesis document specific to the Communautés de Communes du Briançonnais et du Pays des Ecrins (Briançon and Pays des Ecrins Municipal Communities) is planned for France, which will list the protection efforts against floods and mudslides in order for a diagnosis to be made. This document also intends to take stock of all of the studies conducted on this area in order to make a list available to a broad cross-section of the public (professionals, students, researchers, associations), and which will serve as a foundation for the other actions proposed in this project.
COMPILATION OF A TECHNICAL MANUAL
This manual will enable a Franco-Italian methodology to be drawn up in respect of the management techniques and risk prevention specific to the area.To achieve this, two pilot projects will be set up on the French side, and six on the Italian side (one for each mountainous community).The manual will be intended for a broad cross-section of the public and will take the form of local guides specifically related to the situations encountered. They will serve as a tool for reflection for managing risks in an operational manner (for example, by identifying how irrigation canals should be cleaned, what human resources are available) and for provoking thought on how community assistance plans should be drafted.
RISK AWARENESS OPERATION
This will involve making the resident and tourist population aware of the conditions of risk present in this mountainous area. This initiative will be carried out by introducing specific material for the general public and will result in a bilingual exhibition highlighting recommended solutions for preventing risks, actions implemented in the event of a catastrophe, etc.
03/2004 - 03/2007
1 393 032 €
626 864 €