Conversion of the border post at Rekkem-FerrainCountries: Belgium, France
Interreg IIIA - France-Wallonia-Flanders
- Spatial planning and development
- Economic development
This project involves the conversion of a former customs post into a cultural and tourist attraction. The site will be particularly focused on educating groups of young people and school parties on the topic of the border and trade.
- Intercommunale pour le développement régional de l´arrondissement de Kortrijk (Intercommunal organisation for the regional development of the Kortrijk district) (LEIEDAL)
- Lille Métropole Communauté Urbaine (Lille Metropolis Urban Community)
- Agence de développement et d´urbanisme de Lille (Lille development and town planning agency)
The general objective is to "transform a place of division into a place of unity". To this end, the conversion of the Rekkem-Ferrain customs post will concentrate on developing the site in four major ways:
- as a forum for cross-border cooperation,
- as a centre for resources on the cross-border metropolis,
- as an interactive centre for education on the border and on trade,
- as a cross-border country park.
Actors and institutions involved in cross-border cooperation, The local population, Pupils at local schools
The project aims initially to set up a single cross-border ownership structure. The conversion programme will be organised as follows:
- phase 1 (2004-2006): creation of the Forum de la coopération transfrontalière (Cross-border Cooperation Forum) and customs and police facilities,
- phase 2 (2007-2010): construction of a "fenêtre sur la Métropole transfonstalière" (window on the cross-border metropolis) and an interpretation centre on the border and trade,
- phase 3 (roughly projected for 2015): development of the cross-border country park.
Phase 1: 5 000 000 €, Fonctionnement annuel / annual operation: 250 000 €