The CECICN, Conference of European Cross-border and Interregional City Networks, has been set up in April 2010. This European conference gathers eight cross-border and interregional city networks, representing more than 500 cities in Europe, situated both at internal and external borders of the European Union.
The members are:
MOT (Mission Opérationnelle Transfrontalière)
MedCities (Mediterranean network of coastal cities)
FAIC (Forum of Adriatic and Ionian Cities)
UBC (Union of Baltic Cities)
CAAC (Conference of Atlantic Arc Cities)
CESCI (Central European service for cross-border initiatives)
CoDCR (Council of Danube Cities and Regions)
CTA (City Twins Association) (observer)
The objectives are:
In the political context of the programming period 2014-2020, the objectives of CECICN, following a "bottom up" approach, are the following:
- to represent the interests of its members, especially in terms of cross-border, transnational and interregional cooperation involving cities
- to place European Territorial Cooperation at the heart of European politics in the new programming period 2014/2020 and the Europe 2020 Strategy
- to exchange best practices among the different members of the network.
Publications and contributions OF the CECICN:
- Contribution of the CECICN on the public consultation of the European Commission "Overcoming obstacles in border regions", December 2015
- Contribution of the CECICN to the public consultation of the European Commission on the Europe 2020 strategy, September 2014
- Several CECICN members support the end of roaming charges in Europe, see letter from MOT President, Michel Delebarre, to the President of the French Republic, François Hollande, as well as newsletter article, May 2014
- Contribution of the CECICN to the questionnaire on the execution of the EU budget, of the Committee of the Regions, March 2014
- Contribution of the CECICN to the consultation "An EU urban agenda?" of the European Commission, March 2014
- Contribution for DG REGIO "Integrated territorial approaches and Small project funds within the 2014-2020 programming period", November 2013
- Contribution for DG MARKT "Single market – topics in link with citizenship", October 2013
- Contribution to the Consultation of the Committee of the Regions on the mid-term review of Europe 2020, October 2013
- "The urban dimension of macro-regions", Mai 2013
- CECICN-AEBR Strategic document on smart cooperation: "Territorial coopération fostering European integration: Cities and Regions linking across borders", May 2012
- Answer to the 5th cohesion report
First congress on smart cooperation:
"Territorial Cooperation fostering European integration: Cities and Regions linking across borders", 25 and 26 June 2012 in A Coruña, Spain. Nearly 400 participants participated in the first Congress on smart cooperation organised by the CECICN. The objectif of the Congress was to place the European territorial cooperation at the heart of the debate on the EU 2020 strategy, the revival of single market and cohesion policy.
Conclusions of the congress
CECICN European Congress, 25-26 June 2012 in A Coruña, Spain
- Workshop during the OPEN DAYS 2013 :
"Territorial cooperation and single market: how to create tangible added value for citizens in cross-border territories and interregional networks"
Report of the workshop
Regular exchanges with the European institutions and actors at European level in order to put European territorial cooperation at the heart of European politics: European Commission DG REGIO/DG MARKT, Committee of the Regions, European Parliament, etc.
Following the meeting with the European Commission in 2012, the CECICN has worked in collaboration with DG REGIO on the Small project funds, the integrated territorial investments (ITI) and the joint action plans (JAP), and with DG MARKT on different topics in link with the single market and the European year of citizens (economic development, employment-training, energy, transports) (see publications of the CECICN above).